Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Yummy Apple Spice Muffins!

I don't usually post recipes, but this one was requested so here it is! I rarely bake a recipe exactly the way it is laid out because I like making things a little bit healthier. These turned out awesome!


This is the recipe I used courtesy of www.epicurious.com, but I changed it a little. I'll add in my changes with Red text.


For muffins:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups Unbleached whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup packed light brown sugar - 3/4 cup unpacked real cane light brown sugar (I really don't like things too sweet!)
1 stick (1/2 cup) plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted - 1 Stick melted butter
1 cup unsweetened applesauce - I did an overflowing cup to make up for the 3 less tablespoons of butter
1 cup pecans or walnuts (3 1/2 ounces), coarsely chopped - Instead I added 2 fuji apples cut into small pieces (I'm not much for nuts in my food)

For topping: - I skipped the topping because It's just more sugar, but I'm sure it's great with the topping too!
2 tablespoons granulated sugar1/4 teaspoon cinnamon1/4 teaspoon ground allspice1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Special equipment: a muffin pan with 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups

Prepare muffins:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
Grease muffin pan. - I used paper muffin cups
Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a bowl.
Whisk together eggs and brown sugar in a large bowl until combined well, then add butter, a little at a time, whisking until mixture is creamy.
Stir in applesauce, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened.
Stir in nuts (and/or apples) and divide batter among muffin cups.

Stir together all topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of muffins. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then remove muffins from pan and cool slightly.

I cooked mine for 20 min at 400, but the bottoms burned slightly. Next time I would bring down the baking temp to 375 and increase the time just slightly.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Applesauce-Spice-Muffins-108784#ixzz0g2Gv7BbZ

4 comments:

Abby said...

jesse said they were awesome - don't know why he didn't bring any home for ME!!!! :( hehe..

Nathan said...

Thanks Shaloma for the great muffins. Unfortunately they are almost gone.... I guess I don't have any excuse why I can't make them for myself... uh... thanks for posting this recipe? love you.

KAMILLE said...

I like your improv skills, because recipes were meant to be played around with. They look great.

Shaloma said...

So, I as having some major formatting issues with this post for some reason and it is now finally right. Sorry! Thanks for all your comments guys. :)